What Are the 7 Types of SEO?
May 9, 2023 •Allison Black
Looking to attract more customers, increase web traffic, and boost profits? Then you need search engine optimization (SEO). SEO is the art of getting your website on the first page of search engines, and a solid SEO strategy is essential for success in digital marketing. But it's not just about one type of SEO—a great plan incorporates various techniques to win the coveted top spot.
For example, did you know that there are seven different types of SEO to consider? You may be familiar with the four foundational pillars of any SEO strategy—on-page, off-page, technical, and local SEO. However, to take your optimization to the next level, there are three others to consider—mobile, eCommerce, and voice SEO.
And honestly, in a few months, there will probably be ten more types of SEO that need your attention. SEO is a constantly evolving beast, growing new arms and heads every day. Keeping up feels like a full-time job when it really shouldn’t be.
To help you on your journey, keep reading this handy guide to seven types of SEO. You can use this to:
- Deepen your understanding of the importance of SEO in digital marketing;
- Create your own customized SEO strategy example PDF template (Free Download);
- And take your online search engine presence to new levels!
Let's get into it so you can start dominating search results.
What 4 Pillars Are Important in SEO?
On-page, off-page, technical, and local are the four pillars of SEO. These are the backbone of online digital success and increased organic traffic. Here are the highlights of each pillar:
- On-Page SEO - What is on-page SEO in digital marketing? Think of it as boosting your website’s curb appeal. You'll design your page titles and meta descriptions to make a great first impression and create high-quality content with enhanced headings. Remember to optimize your images and use internal linking to help search engines understand your website's structure.
- Off-Page SEO - Off-page SEO techniques involve building your website's credibility and authority through link building, social media, and other external factors. You can't sit back and wait for people to find you—you must actively promote your website. Meet your customers halfway via social media, and consider sending out high-ranking content in email campaigns.
- Technical SEO - Some might say the real SEO magic happens behind the scenes. Think about it—how fast will you leave a website that takes too long to load? We’re usually quick to hit the “back” button after a few turns of the loading circle. This is one reason why technical SEO is important, as it focuses on your website's speed, site architecture, crawlability, indexing, and schema markup to improve your website’s performance.
- Local SEO - Local SEO is all about attracting customers to your doorstep by letting them know you’re in their area. You'll need to optimize your Google My Business listing, make sure your NAP (that's name, address, and phone number) is consistent across the web, and create locally-relevant content.
What Are the Other 3 Types of SEO?
Mobile, eCommerce, and voice SEO are three other types of SEO that many growing businesses are focusing on. These could fall under the umbrella of the above four SEO pillars, but they're important enough to have earned their spotlight.
- Mobile SEO - With users generating over 59% of website traffic on mobile devices in the last quarter of 2022, it's clear that mobile-friendliness is no longer optional—it's a necessity. This trend, studied by Statista, is especially evident in emerging digital markets like India, where a significant portion of the population accesses the internet primarily through smartphones and tablets.
Mobile SEO is the process of enhancing your website for mobile devices to improve its usability, speed, and overall performance. Use responsive designs, optimize your site's content for smaller screens, and implement mobile-specific features like click-to-call buttons and mobile-friendly forms.
- eCommerce SEO - Having a stunning online store is only half the eCommerce battle—you also need to make sure your target audience can find it. That's where eCommerce SEO comes in! It's about ensuring your website's product pages, category pages, and other content are easy for search engines to crawl and for users to understand. When properly executed, these efforts can also boost your product pages higher on the Google Shopping tab.
This process includes using relevant keywords in your content, optimizing your product titles and descriptions, and making your website's structure easy to navigate. For each product page, include product titles and descriptions, high-quality images and videos, and relevant product metadata such as SKUs, product codes, and reviews.
- Voice SEO - Voice SEO focuses on making your content conversational and easy for natural language processing to understand, so you can be a go-to source on topics important to your business.
Some unique voice SEO techniques include targeting long-tail keywords and question-based phrases that people commonly use in voice searches. Voice SEO also involves optimizing for Google’s featured snippets, as many voice assistants rely on these snippets to answer user queries.
How Many Types of SEO Are There? Who Really Knows—Come Figure It Out With DemandJump
Keeping up with the latest trends in SEO makes us want to throw our laptops against the wall. As soon as you get comfortable with one Google update, something else changes, and it’s a never-ending cycle of improvements and frustrations.
At DemandJump, we’re along for the ride, but we’re also learning about the ride and recording what we’ve learned. It’s why we believe so strongly in the power of Pillar-Based Marketing, a powerful SEO strategy that stands to endure the test of time and fickle algorithm updates. It’s why we’ve created an SEO keyword platform, an easy way to cut your research time in half. And it’s why we keep writing about SEO—to share what we’ve learned so you can fine-tune your business machine with the latest strategies and insights.
Take the DemandJump platform for a spin for free, and see what a stress-free SEO strategy can look like.
- Attribution Tracking (13)
- Channel Optimization (11)
- Consumer Insights (68)
- Content Marketing (246)
- Data Science (8)
- Digital Marketing (6)
- Digital Transformation (26)
- Enterprise (10)
- Lead Generation (14)
- Market Intelligence (8)
- Marketing Analytics (39)
- Marketing Attribution (57)
- Marketing Management (153)
- Marketing Operations (86)
- Organic Search (218)
- Paid Search (52)
- Pillar-Based Marketing (43)
- Programmatic Advertising (9)
- SaaS Content (2)
- SaaS Marketing (29)
- Search Marketing (111)
- SEO Keyword Research (12)
- SEO Pillar (17)
- SEO Strategy (20)
- SMB (5)
- Website Content (12)