Content Writing: How to Get Started
February 9, 2023 •DJ Team
The amount of content that exists on the internet is hard to wrap your head around. There are roughly 600 million blogs live right now alone. Someone has to write all these types of content, which is where the writers for content marketing come in.
If you are thinking about entering this field, you are not alone. Writers are needed to generate the world's content. However, it is not always easy to transfer into this field without the proper skills or information. Here at DemandJump, we’ve compiled some tips and tricks for the future content writers of the world.
What Does a Content Writer Do?
A content writer is a professional who writes informative and engaging articles to help brands showcase their products or services. Understanding that the role and responsibility will look different depending on the industry and organization you write for is essential. However, in general, there are common tasks that most content writers will be required to perform, such as writing:
- Blogs: From Q&A articles, white papers, how-tos, and everything in between, blogs are one of the most common tasks required of content writers. They help establish a brand's voice while providing helpful information that their target audience is trying to find answers for.
- Social Media Copy: While social media management can be its own position, it is not uncommon for content writers to be in charge of what goes out to the ever-growing list of social media platforms. This is an important task as it is another great way to connect with your audience and promote loyalty to your brand. With the limited amount of language most social media platforms limit posts to, every word has even more value.
- Email Campaigns: Short-form writing like email blasts can appear to be low-effort tasks, but are quite tricky to master if you want to improve their click-through rate. Email campaigns have to be creative, attention-grabbing, and fresh to be effective. Companies will be fighting to have you on their team if you can showcase skill in creating these campaigns with high open and click-through rates.
What Skills a Content Writer Should Have
To become a successful content writer, there are essential content writing skills that any employer will look to ensure they choose quality talent for their team.
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Hands-on experience with Content Management Systems
- Familiarity with web publication best practices
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Knowledge
- Social Media Expertise (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram)
As you can see, there is a lot that goes into becoming a successful content writer. To make the most out of your time gaining valuable skills, you are likely wondering where you can go to learn them.
How to Learn Content Writing Skills
Outside of getting a degree in writing, one of the best options is content writing courses. Online courses are cheaper than college degrees and can often offer more real-world applications than you can find in a classroom. In some cases, companies may prefer to hire a candidate with a certificate from a specific course that they feel brings high value to their company.
One of the premier courses currently available for content writers is our very own DemandJump University. This course teaches all the ins and outs of content marketing and gears it toward the ever-growing shift to Pillar-Based Marketing (PBM). PBM is all about creating content to boost search engine results that ensure your content is on the top of page one.
Another way to learn these skills is through continuous practice on your own. If you have no previous experience as a writer, for example, creating your own website as a portfolio can be a great way to learn and stand out from the competition vying for the same positions. This is a simple yet effective way to show off your ability to write in different tones and for various audiences.
DemandJump: Powering The World's Content
During your content writing career, you will likely need a little help along the way to put out your best work. Partnering with the right organization that provides SEO keyword research and other content writing services, like DemandJump, can be the solution.
DemandJump will empower you to level up every aspect of your content writing. Do you want to know more about the audience you are writing to? Do you want to see how your content is performing against the competition? Do you want to know exactly what to write in order to get in front of your audience? All these questions have an answer that our team and platform can provide.
Whether you are taking your first steps with content writing or want to improve your current company's digital marketing efforts, try our platform for free to take your content writing ability to the next level.
- Attribution Tracking (13)
- Channel Optimization (11)
- Consumer Insights (68)
- Content Marketing (246)
- Data Science (8)
- Digital Marketing (6)
- Digital Transformation (26)
- Enterprise (10)
- Lead Generation (14)
- Market Intelligence (8)
- Marketing Analytics (39)
- Marketing Attribution (57)
- Marketing Management (153)
- Marketing Operations (86)
- Organic Search (218)
- Paid Search (52)
- Pillar-Based Marketing (43)
- Programmatic Advertising (9)
- SaaS Content (2)
- SaaS Marketing (29)
- Search Marketing (111)
- SEO Keyword Research (12)
- SEO Pillar (17)
- SEO Strategy (3)
- SMB (5)
- Website Content (12)